At our house, it's definitely part of the regular meal rotation. And we've found a fun new way to mix it up … Mom’s Favorite Taco Seasoning! In fact, here are 10 reasons you'll love it – complete with a delicious recipe you can make tonight.
1. Customized flavor. Mild. Medium. Mucho. Whatever you prefer, just add a little or a lot to personalize it for your family.
2. Nothing artificial. Nope. No artificial ingredients.
3. Magic with all kinds of meat. Ground beef. Chicken. Shrimp. Sausage. Whatever you like! All you need is 2½ tablespoons Mom’s Favorite Taco Seasoning + 2/3 cup water + 1 pound meat for the perfect taco filling.
4. Potatoes with pizzazz. Sprinkle the seasoning on ordinary tater tots or French fries to take ‘em up a notch.
5. Handy shaker jar. You know those half-empty leftover taco packets that always seem to spill everywhere in your cupboard? (Or maybe that’s just me?) Since this seasoning comes in a convenient jar, it’s easy to sprinkle it, scoop it and snap it shut.
6. Great value. One jar seasons about 5 pounds of meat (which means 5 dinners for most families).
7. Mexi multi-tasking. This is probably obvious, but this tasty seasoning makes it simple to make virtually every Mexican dish. Burritos. Enchiladas. Fajitas. Nachos. Quesadillas. You name it.
8. Easy chip dip. Combine 2½ tablespoons Mom’s Favorite Taco Seasoning with 1 cup light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, ½ cup light mayo and ½ cup shredded cheese for a terrific Tex-Mex dip.
9. All the deliciousness – without the drive-thru. We all know that cooking at home is typically healthier – and less expensive – than dining out. Now it’s a little easier!
10. Bueno breakfast, brunch or “brinner.” And last but not least, it's easy to make your own breakfast burritos and tacos, right at home.
Easy as 1-2-3: How to Make Your Breakfast Tacos
In fact, here's how to make your own Tex-Mex Breakfast Tacos, loaded with protein-packed eggs, sausage, cheese and fresh veggies. And they’re ready in less than 30 minutes. Check out the steps and photos below, or see the full recipe here >
Step 1: SausageIn a large saucepan, cook 8 ounces ground turkey or pork sausage over medium-high heat.
Brown about 6-8 minutes or until it’s no longer pink, draining off the liquid as needed.
Step 2: Potatoes & EggsWhile your sausage is browning, whisk 9 large eggs in a medium bowl; set aside.
Add 2½ cups frozen Potatoes O’Brien to the skillet (or substitute plain diced potatoes, if you have kiddos or picky eaters in the house!). Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons Mom’s Favorite Taco Seasoning into the skillet.
Sauté 8-15 minutes or until the potatoes are slightly tender. Reduce heat to medium. Pour beaten eggs into the skillet.
Stir, slowly and continuously, with a rubber spatula about 2-3 minutes or until the eggs are set.
Step 3: Cheese & ToppingsRemove the skillet from heat and carefully stir in 1 cup shredded colby-jack cheese. For toppings, set out a build-your-own-taco bar with your family’s favorites like:
- picante sauce or salsa
- chopped avocados
- light sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- diced tomatoes
- sliced green onions
Scoop your egg mixture in warmed taco shells.
And you've got a delicious meal the whole family will taco-bout!
Tips & Hints:
- Serve your breakfast tacos with orange juice and fresh fruit.
- As mentioned above, I recommend sautéing your frozen potatoes about 8-15 minutes. (The original recipe says only 6-8 minutes, but our potatoes definitely needed the additional cook time.)
- Next time I’ll make these as breakfast burritos, wrapped in warm flour tortillas instead of crunchy taco shells. (Bonus: if you have any leftovers, you can wrap ‘em in foil for grab-and-go breakfasts or workday lunches, too.)
- Cutting down on carbs? Try these as breakfast bowls instead.