Right now many of us are trading our dressy clothes for comfy loungewear, choosing messy buns over makeup and getting back to basics – from afternoon walks to family movie nights on the couch.
Why not keep it casual in the kitchen, too? From burgers to brownies, here are 11 simple yet delicious dinners and desserts that will fit right in – and fit in the palm of your hand.
11 Home-Cooked Handhelds
1. Smokehouse BBQ Burgers. Smoked Cheddar. Peppered bacon. Crispy onion strings. Ditch the drive-thru for these fresh-off-the-grill smokehouse burgers, ready at home in less than 20 minutes.
Serve with sweet potato fries and fresh fruit (or grilled corn-on-the-cob once it’s in season this summer)!
2. Mom’s Favorite Mexican Molletes. Take a new twist on Mexican night with these delicious “molletes” – open-faced sandwiches topped with creamy refried beans, seasoned beef and Monterey Jack cheese.
3. Cherry Zinfandel Steak Skewers. Missing those nights out at your neighborhood bar and grill? Try these saucy little steak bites, stacked with orange bell peppers and button mushrooms – all slathered with sweet and smoky Cherry Zinfandel Sauce.
You can make them on full-size wooden skewers or small bamboo picks like we did. I love to serve these with a little extra sauce on the side for dipping, too!
4. Orange Chile Shrimp Kabobs. Prefer something with a little more kick? Try these sweet and spicy shrimp kabobs, made with juicy pineapple, fresh bell peppers and a smoldering citrus glaze.
5. Southwestern Chicken Wraps. Loaded with tender chicken, black beans, shredded cheese and sweet corn, these zesty wraps are packed with all kinds of fresh flavors.
Add chips and salsa, and you’ve got a quick and complete weeknight dinner!
6. Sweet and Smoky Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Best. Pulled pork. Ever. This one is a family favorite, and all you have to do is throw a few ingredients into the slow cooker. By dinnertime, you’ll have perfectly slow-simmered pork.
Parents: if you’re homeschooling right now, check out some of these other simple slow cooker recipes, too. They are lifesavers!
7. Bayou Street Tacos. Little tortillas. Big flavor. These easy street-style tacos are bursting with crunchy slaw, fresh cilantro, queso fresco and savory beef. Perfect for summer weeknights!
8. Bruschetta Chicken Sandwiches. All the classic tastes and textures of bruschetta – all on a toasted ciabatta roll.
Layered with mozzarella, tomatoes, lettuce and balsamic mayo, these grilled chicken sandwiches pair perfectly with fresh veggies or kettle chips for a bistro-style dinner.
9. Strawberry Shortcake Pastries. No chance to visit the bakery right now? No problem. With fresh strawberries, creamy filling and a flaky crust, these pretty little pastries are perfect for dessert or weekend brunch at home.
10. Lemon Crinkle Cookies. Sweet. Sunny. Simple. So bright and citrusy, these lovely lemon cookies are topped with swirls of light, fluffy frosting.
Bake a batch this week for afterschool snacks for the kids – or afternoon coffee breaks for you!
11. S’more Truffle Brownie Cups. Can’t wait for those backyard bonfires this summer? Stir up these smore-inspired brownie cups, topped with toasty marshmallows, melty chocolate and sweet grahams. Perfect with ice-cold glasses of milk.
Remember, you can find tons of other easy and delicious recipes for burgers, tacos, sandwiches and more on Tastefully Simple’s website. (And you can search for ideas based on whatever’s in your pantry, too.)
We’re always here to give you a hand!