With two young boys and a half-grown puppy, we don't have many lazy weekends at our house. In fact, we just cross our fingers when it comes to sleeping in. (Some nights, my husband and I say, “Good luck” instead of “Good night” when our heads finally hit the pillows.)
But even with a house full of early risers, weekends are still pretty glorious. We snuggle on the couch. Watch cartoons. Drink coffee. Catch up on laundry. Go to the library or the park. I repeat: pretty glorious.
This year, we've also started a new tradition … Sunday dinners! No five-course meals, mind you. But there's something wonderful about gathering around the table every Sunday evening for a home-cooked meal.
On the menu this weekend: Garlic & Herb Lemon Chicken. Rustic herbs. Succulent chicken. Sunny lemon. So tender and savory, this lovely roasted chicken recipe is included in the One-Pot 10-Meal Kit. (And if you're not familiar with the kit, it has everything you need to make 10 delicious meals – all using just one pot or your slow cooker.)
Best of all, you only need five ingredients for this beauty.
Ready to “Chicken Out”?
Here's how to make it this weekend, complete with step-by-step tips and photos. See the full recipe here »
Step 1: Bring on the Bird
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grab a 4-5 pound whole chicken fryer (with the giblet packet and neck removed), and gently pat it dry with clean paper towels.
Generously season it with salt and pepper, inside and out.
Step 2: Butter Up
In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup softened butter with 1 tablespoon Garlic Garlic™ Seasoning and 2 teaspoons Rustic Herb Seasoning.
Now take that wonderfully aromatic garlic butter and rub it all over the chicken. (I know. It will look – and feel – a little weird, but roll up your sleeves and go with it.)
Place the chicken breast side up in a 13 x 9 baking dish and top it with a thinly sliced lemon.
Step 3: Bake to Perfection
Bake 1½-2 hours (or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F if you're a thermometer checker). And behold:
You've got the perfect weekend dinner … without having to wing it!
Tips & Hints:
- Serve with mashed or baby potatoes, buttermilk biscuits and roasted broccoli.
- When you're prepping your chicken, try to gently work some of the garlic butter in between the skin and the meat for maximum flavor.
- I like to buy an extra lemon, slice it in half, and place it inside the cavity of the bird before roasting. It infuses even more aromatic flavor into the chicken.
- Try a Meyer lemon or two instead of traditional ones, since they tend to be a little sweeter.
- If you'd prefer to use your slow cooker instead of the oven, just cook the chicken on LOW for 7-8 hours.