Kids. Adults. Come on: we all know that we should try to eat more vegetables.
But how can you make it more fun for your whole family? At our house, a little bit of bacon goes a long way. In fact, it adds the perfect touch of salty-sweet-smoky goodness to roasted broccoli, green beans and spinach salads. And now there's something new that brings all of those amazing flavors together ... Bacon Veggie Cheese Ball Mix!
Loaded with the farm-fresh flavors of hickory bacon, bright herbs and garden veggies, it's a wonderful way to make the most of fresh produce all summer long. (And since you get two packets in every package, it's a great value, too.)
From casual entertaining to kid-friendly snacks, here are six ways to make the most of it:
1. Chillin' cheese balls. Just add light cream cheese and serve with a bounty of your favorite garden vegetables. I mean, really ... who could resist this?
For dippers, try sliced cucumbers, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes and/or sliced sweet bell peppers.
2. Bistro-style BLT wraps. Spread a thin layer of prepared Bacon Veggie Cheese Ball onto whole wheat tortillas. Roll 'em up with sliced turkey, tomatoes, lettuce and chopped avocado for a light grab-and-go lunch or snack.
3. Fun (or fancy) finger foods. Stuff the cheese ball mixture into celery sticks for quick after-school snacks. Or if you're inviting over a few friends, stuff mushroom caps with the mixture; sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese and bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes.
4. Fresh omelets. Make a farm-style brunch or "brinner" (aka breakfast for dinner) by scrambling 1 dry packet of Bacon Veggie Cheese Ball Mix with 9-12 eggs, depending on the size of your family. Add shredded cheese, spinach, mushrooms, diced tomatoes or your other favorite fillings.
5. Grillmaster marinades. Mix 1 dry packet of Bacon Veggie Cheese Ball Mix with ¼ cup olive oil and ¼ cup red wine vinegar. It makes a great marinade for grilled chicken and vegetables!
6. Perfect veggie pizza. And last but not least, make your own cool, crunchy veggie pizza. Check out the easy steps and photos below, or see the full recipe here >
How to Make Your Veggie Pizza
Preheat your oven to 425°F. Grab 1 (13.8 ounce) tube refrigerated pizza crust. Press the dough into a greased 15x10-inch pan. (A round pizza pan like mine will do in a pinch, too!)
Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
While your crust is cooling, combine 1 packet Bacon Veggie Cheese Ball Mix with 8 ounces softened cream cheese and ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt.
Now get your toppings ready!
I used 1 chopped cucumber, ¼ cup shredded carrots, ½ chopped red bell pepper and 6 slices chopped bacon. (Confession: I think only five of those bacon slices actually made it onto the pizza. Try not to judge.)
Carefully spread your cream cheese mixture on the cooled pizza crust, like so:
Sprinkle on your toppings, and voila!
It's fun, fresh and filled with all kinds of colorful, crunchy veggies. And whether you're entertaining at the last minute or you just want the kids to try something new, well – this one will definitely save your bacon.