Fruity. Fresh. Fun. Smoothie bowls are such a hot trend this summer. But why are they so good and so good for you?
Here are a few facts and feel-good recipes to help you savor every spoonful!
8 Sweet Reasons to Love Smoothie Bowls
1. See Why Bowls Are Better. Wait – why bother with a bowl instead of a glass? You’ll actually enjoy a thick, creamy smoothie more slowly with a spoon instead of a straw. That means you’ll typically feel more satisfied, even with fewer calories. Plus, using a spoon can help a healthy smoothie breakfast seem more like a full meal.
2. Mix and Match Your Own Flavors. The beauty of the smoothie bowl: it’s really easy to make your own combinations!
New to smoothies? Start with this basic blender recipe:
- 1 cup frozen fruit (any kind!)
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup liquid (e.g., milk, plain yogurt, juice, almond or coconut milk)
- ½ cup chopped spinach or kale (if you want those extra nutrients)
- 1 tablespoon of nut butter, agave or honey
You can add ice or a little more liquid, depending on what consistency you prefer, too.
3. Have Fun with Fresh Fruit. Top your smoothie bowl with fresh fruit for a burst of juicy sweetness and a bright splash of color.
Here are a few of my personal favorites:
- Chopped kiwi and strawberries
- Raspberries and blueberries
- Chopped pineapple and banana slices
4. Beach, Please. Juicy mango. Crunchy coconut. Smooth banana.
Swirling with fresh fruit and a splash of Tropical Passion Drink Mixer, this delicious island-inspired smoothie bowl is a breeze. My kids love it, too! You’ll find the quick recipe here: Tropical Smoothie Bowls .
5. Add Toppings for Extra Texture. Don’t forget to sprinkle on a little extra crunch. Crispy granola, nuts, dried fruit, toasted coconut, chia seeds, pepitas, you name it.
6. Bring on the Berries. Love the sweetness of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries? Mix up this sweet-tart smoothie bowl, bursting with bright summer berries. (By the way, I love to sprinkle this one with a spoonful of chia seeds, which are full of fiber, protein and heart-healthy omega-3s.)
View the recipe here: Mixed Berry Smoothie Bowls
7. Chill Out. Stash your bowl in the freezer for 30 minutes before making your smoothie – or least while you’re prepping your other ingredients. Using a chilled bowl will help keep your smoothie ice-cold while you enjoy it!
8. Kiddo-Approved Keepers. Looking for a kid-friendly favorite? Try this sweet strawberry smoothie bowl, topped with crunchy granola and chopped kiwi.
Breakfast has never looked better, right? See the full recipe here: Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie Bowls .
What are YOUR simple tips and tricks for summertime smoothies? Tell us below, or share your ideas with us on Facebook.
We’d love to hear how you smooth it out!
New! 14-Day Reset Program. Let’s reset together »