Summertime is full of sunshine, street fairs and – for many of us – the sizzling scents and sounds of food trucks grilling in the park and city streets. But no matter where you live, you can create some of your own street-style flavors, right at home this summer!
8 Simple Tips for Summer Tacos
- Try Street Taco Tortillas. Did you know that you can find “street taco” size traditional corn or flour tortillas at your local grocery store? The smaller size is perfect for trying a few different fillings on taco night. (To my fellow mamas – they are great for little kids, too.)
To warm tortillas in the microwave, wrap them in a damp paper towel and heat 30 seconds. Or if you’re grilling in the backyard, toss a few onto the grill for about 45 seconds per side. Then wrap the tortillas in foil to keep ‘em warm.
- Teriyaki Steak Tacos. For Korean-style tacos, try these tender and succulent steak tacos – topped with crisp cucumbers, carrots and garden-fresh radishes.
For a grilled variation, simply cut the 1½ lbs. beef flank steak into four sections and marinate with ½ cup Honey Teriyaki Sauce as directed. Grill 5-7 minutes per side over medium heat (or until your desired level of doneness), and then thinly slice the steak against the grain when you’re ready to assemble your tacos. Yum!
- Sweet & Sour Shrimp Tacos. For tropical-inspired tacos, toss 1 lb. grilled or sautéed jumbo shrimp with ½ cup Sweet & Sour Pineapple Sauce.
Scoop onto tortillas with chopped red peppers, avocado, pineapple chunks and cilantro. So fresh, fruity and fun for summertime!
- Bayou Street Tacos. Perfect for busy weeknights, these quick and easy tacos are loaded with tasty ground beef, crumbly queso fresco and crunchy slaw.
- Jammin Tilapia Tacos. Love fish tacos? Full of fresh and smoky flavors, these delicious tacos feature lightly blackened tilapia topped with guacamole, cilantro and a dollop of spicy-tangy Bacon Pepper Jam.
- Bayou Pork & Apple Slaw Tacos. Juicy pork. Sweet and spicy slaw. Salty crumbles of queso fresco.
By the way, these simple street-style tacos pair perfectly with a light summer lager, crisp white wine or even a fruit-kissed sour ale from your local craft brewery.
- Thai Chicken Tacos. For another quick weeknight shortcut, layer warm tortillas with shredded rotisserie chicken. Drizzle with warmed Thai Peanut Sauce, and top with chopped peanuts, shredded cabbage, sliced red peppers and fresh cilantro.
You’ll have a delicious dinner on the table in 15 minutes, from start to finish.
- Sweet Pepper Black Bean Tacos. And if you’re looking for a vegetarian option, stir up these protein-packed black bean tacos, loaded with grilled sweet corn, fresh pico and creamy avocado. Perfect for a meatless menu!
Now that’s something to taco ‘bout!