That’s right … we all scream for ice cream! Today is National Ice Cream Sundae Day, just in case you need one more reason to grab a spoon and savor the sweet taste of summer. Now when it comes to sundaes, the combinations are almost endless. Chocolate. Caramel. Strawberry. Bananas. Butterscotch. But whatever your style, it’s easy to make a sweet and simple dessert in minutes – guaranteed to impress any kid at heart.
Here’s the scoop!
9 Sweet Ideas for Summer Sundaes
- Peach Pound Cake Sundaes. Make the most of fresh fruit from your local market with this pretty peach sundae, layered with buttery pound cake and drizzled with a divine maple cream sauce.
Can’t find any ripe peaches? Try it with sliced bananas instead!
- Touch of Texture. Chopped nuts. Crumbled graham crackers. Crushed cookies. Whatever your favorite sundae may be, try sprinkling a little bit of crunch on top to contrast with all of that creaminess. It adds just the right finishing touch.
- Sweet & Simple Toppings. If you have a jar of Creamy Caramel Sauce and a quart of ice cream on hand, you’ll always be ready for unexpected guests. But did you know that you can gently warm Rhubarb Strawberry Fruit Spread for a lusciously sweet and slightly tart ice cream topping, too? Just pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Brownie Sundaes. Any Nutella® lovers out there? Swirling ½ cup of warmed chocolate-hazelnut spread into Truffle Fudge Brownie Mix batter is one of my favorite ways to mix it up. And when you combine those gooey brownies with a couple scoops of vanilla bean ice cream? Boom.
- Toasted Banana Pound Cake Sundaes. So easy and elegant, these sweet sundaes are kissed with cinnamon and swirls of rich caramel. And they are picture-perfect for entertaining!
- Different Dishes. Think outside the bowl. If you’re entertaining, try layering your sundaes in wine glasses or small mason jars to show off different layers, especially with bright and beautiful fruit. For the kiddos, opt for waffle cone bowls – no mess, no clean-up!
- Build-Your-Own-Sundae Bar. Not sure what your friends or all of the neighborhood kids will prefer? Set out a variety of different toppings, and let everyone build their own. Include bowls with fresh fruit, chocolate, chopped nuts, flaked coconut, sprinkles, sandwich cookies or other fun mix-ins.
- S’more Brownie Sundaes. With velvety brownie chunks, rocky road ice cream and crispy graham crackers, these dark and decadent sundaes are loaded with the classic flavors of s’mores – no campfire required.
Fun fact: This sundae is the one most requested by my six- and eight-year-old boys, too!
- Gorgeous garnishes. And last but not least, if you’re entertaining, don’t forget to put a cherry on top – literally. Garnishes, such as cherries, berries or fresh mint, add a perfect pop of color.