Of course I realized that, and also that purchasing a set would not only be easier, but likely less expensive. Yet every year, as I watch my mom lovingly unwrap the carefully stored figures and arrange them on the top of the piano, I feel proud and happy that I made the extra effort.
Similarly, I love receiving home-canned grape jelly, apple preserves and my favorite holiday cookies from mom each year. Homemade comes from the heart.
This year I decided to share some of my own baked goods with friends. I got an easy and early start by using Tastefully Simple's Holiday Baking Kit. There's so much variety in this kit, with recipes for seven yummy treats. With extra boxes of Classy Chocolate Pound Cake Mix and Pumpkin Bread & Maple Glaze Mix on hand, I also made up a batch each of Classy Chocolate Biscotti and Pumpkin Patch Biscotti. All of these items freeze beautifully, so I could get my baking done before the holiday season really gets crazy.
Pretty cookies deserve a special presentation, right? Being a dedicated crafter, I headed to my basement "workshop" and collected an armful of items to transform into custom-made gift packages. (A trip to any dollar store would also be a good source for basic materials.)
Here are 9 ideas for recycling ordinary household items into hand-made masterpieces:
- Cover an empty aluminum foil box with ribbon or holiday paper; line up small cookies inside.
- Wrap small treat buckets with tinsel.
- Make a lace basket by draping a doily over a bowl; saturate with fabric stiffener and allow to dry. Line basket with paper napkins and fill with treats.
- Add snowflakes to a plain mug with rubber stamps and acrylic paint.
- Cover a potato chip cylinder with holiday fabric or pretty paper. Stack cookies inside
Use acrylic paint to give a small, wooden box a holiday flair. (Hint: Coffee machine filters make great liners!)
- Bedazzle a clean paint can with glitter.
- Use wide ribbon to dress up a papier mache box.
- Reuse a cardboard treat box (mine was leftover from Halloween) by covering it with glittering wrapping paper.
Not sure where to start? You can find FREE, fun gift tags and printables to decorate your packages at tastefullysimple.com. And get even more clever packaging ideas in short videos on Tastefully Simple's Facebook page.
Channel your creativity this season and make giving more magical and meaningful with homemade gifts from the heart.