For my mom's recent 91st birthday, I made a decadently luscious baked French toast casserole to start her day off on a sweet note. The dish was simple to assemble and – bonus! – put together the night before so I didn't have to wake up early!
What makes this one different? I substitute Absolutely Almond Pound Cake™ cubes for bread. (I saw a recipe for Strawberry Almond Pancakes using this cake mix, so I figured, why not?)
Here's a step-by-step of how easily it came together, or view the recipe here ».
- Bake up a sweet foundation.
Like all Tastefully Simple products, Absolutely Almond Pound Cake Mix is so easy to make: just stir together the mix, ¾ cup melted butter and a cup of water and bake per the directions on the box. Let the cake cool completely.
- Assemble the yum.
Cut the cooled pound cake into roughly 1-inch cubes. Cut an 8 ounce package of cream cheese into half-inch nuggets, and add a cup of fresh (or frozen) blueberries.
- Layer the luscious.
In a buttered 8x8 baking pan, layer about ¾ of the pound cake cubes, cream cheese nuggets and blueberries. Top with remaining pound cake.
- Pour it on.
Mix together 6 eggs, 2 cups half & half, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour over the cake/cream cheese/blueberry strata. Using the back of a spoon, push the top layer of cake cubes down slightly to ensure they are covered with the liquid. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring on the bake. Preheat oven to 425°F. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, then uncover for another 30-30 minutes, until cake cubes are browned, cream cheese is melted and mixture is set up.
- Cool slightly to allow it to fully set up. Then cut into squares and serve with your favorite maple or fruit syrup and whipped cream if desired.
- Prefer a slightly more traditional French toast recipe? Try using Bountiful Beer Bread® cubes instead of pound cake. This Overnight French Toast Bake is a sweet and savory option.
- Try using Sunny Lemon Pound Cake & Icing Mix to add a light, citrus flavor.
- Sprinkle toasted almond slices over the top before baking to add a nutty crunch.
- Double-duty it as dessert! Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.