There is something about it that just feels easy and even comforting. Also, I’m not a morning person, so enjoying breakfast any time before, say, 11:00 am, seems impossible. And I’d be lying if I said we haven’t had the occasional bowl of cereal for dinner when life is hectic or I’m just too exhausted for anything else. Luckily, Tastefully Simple has "brinner" recipes that are almost as easy as a bowl of cereal, but so much tastier.
We recently tried the Ham & Cheese Egg Nests from the Fall-Winter Family Faves 10-Meal Kit. If you’re new to Tastefully Simple meal kits, they are worth checking out. Each kit includes products, recipes cards and a grocery list that makes cooking at home a breeze. The Family Faves 10-Meal Kit includes 10 kid-friendly and fun recipes the whole family will love.
I believe the Ham & Cheese Egg Nests are as family-friendly as it gets, for so many reasons:
- They really do look like little nests, which my kids thought was pretty cool.
- It’s like having a complete breakfast – eggs, ham, cheese and hash browns - in one bite. My kids thought that was fun, too!
- It’s the perfect leftover ham recipe, which makes it mom-friendly. Ham is not just for holidays at my house, so we’re always looking for new ways to use up what we have left in the fridge.
First, you combine butter and Spinach & Herb Seasoning and microwave it until the butter is melted. Then you stir in hash browns, cheese and Seasoned Salt.
Next, divide the hash brown mixture into a greased 12-count muffin pan. Press and form the mixture into the wells, creating the nests. Bake for 10 minutes or until browned.
Now, I could have just stopped there, because hash browns come highly requested from my kids, but I draw the line at just serving hash browns for dinner. You have to have some boundaries!
While the hash browns are baking, combine the eggs, milk and remaining Spinach & Herb Seasoning and Seasoned Salt and whisk to combine.
Once the hash browns are browned, remove from the oven and using a spoon, press and form into wells again to reshape the nests if needed. Divide the ham and egg mixture among the wells and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Continue baking another 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the nests stand for 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
I served the egg nests with a side of fresh fruit and toast. My family gobbled up every last nest without leaving a crumb behind – "brinner" for the win!
Tips & Hints:
- Mixing the eggs, milk, Spinach & Herb Seasoning and Seasoned Salt in a bowl with a pour spout or a large measuring cup makes it much easier and cleaner to pour into the muffin tins.
- Once I poured the egg mixture into the muffin tins, I gently swirled the egg mixture to make sure the seasoning was evenly distributed.
- Customize the egg nests by adding crumbled breakfast sausage, crumbled bacon or your favorite sautéed veggies in place of ham.
- Make ahead & freeze: Prepare as directed and cool completely. Place in a freezer-safe storage container or gallon freezer bags. Seal well, label and freeze. Place 1 nest on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on HIGH 2-2½ minutes or until heated through.