Disclaimer: I’m getting a little personal today, folks.
After two kids, 11 years of marriage (to a great guy who loves pizza almost as much as I do) and a photo of myself that I nearly didn’t recognize, I decided to make some lifestyle changes last summer.
It’s a bit surreal to share this with the world, but I’ve lost 60 pounds. And I’ve done it cooking with Tastefully Simple products every day.
Now let’s be clear: this isn’t medical or diet advice. This also isn’t a recommendation to eat pound cake on a daily basis. (Alas, I know. But you can – and should – still enjoy the splurge sometimes. It’s totally worth it.) This is just my personal two cents, along with a few tips for planning healthier meals.
Because here’s the simple truth: a lot of Tastefully Simple’s seasonings, sauces and cooking oils can make foods that are good for you taste even better. And that means you’re more likely to make them every day.
Which is the whole idea, right? Right.
So if you’re trying to make smarter choices, here are a few suggestions to keep in mind.
9 Tips for Making More Balanced Meals
- Grill, baby, grill.
Have you tried the new Easy Grillin’ 10 Meals & More Collection yet? DO IT. Seriously.
- Feel good about your choices with TS Eat Well.
When you see this label on Tastefully Simple products, it means there are no artificial flavors, preservatives, sweeteners or colors inside. No MSG. No hydrogenated fats. And that means helping your family eat well just got a little easier.
- Experiment with different seasonings.
Don’t be afraid to play with your food! Unique seasonings are a terrific way to add flavor – without the fat. (If you haven’t tasted some of the new Spring-Summer ones yet, just ask your consultant to hook you up.)
- Eat your veggies. Really.
Your mother was right. Buy enough fresh options to keep your crisper drawer stocked for the week, along with a couple microwave steamer bags for your freezer.
In our house, we typically have broccoli, asparagus and sweet mini peppers on hand, since they pair nicely with almost everything. Drizzle your favorite veggies with Roasted Garlic Infused Oil or Avocado Oil, sprinkle ‘em with Garlic Pepper Seasoning and kosher salt, and roast at 450°F for about 15 minutes. Boom. Done.
- Combine one lean protein + one sauce. Chicken. Ground turkey. Pork tenderloin. There are so many options. All you need to do is brush on a little Honey Teriyaki Sauce, Bayou Bourbon™ Glaze or Smoky Bacon BBQ Sauce to make them taste amazing.
- Visit your seafood counter. We make seafood about twice a week, especially heart-healthy salmon. In addition to being a very lean protein, fish and shellfish cook really quickly, too, so you can get dinner on the table fast. Win-win!
- Follow the 80/20 rule. I love this mantra. Make good choices 80% of the time and just enjoy yourself the other 20%. Life is short, my friends. Eat a juicy cheeseburger or a slice of cake, and savor every single bite.
- Try lighter natural substitutions. There are a lot of simple ways to lighten up your favorite dishes, like substituting plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream or using unsweetened almond or cashew milk instead of traditional dairy milk. (But don’t be fooled into eating turkey bacon. There are limits, people.)
- Make your meal plan on the weekends. The old adage is true: failing to plan can be planning to fail. We all hit the drive-thru from time to time. But eating healthier typically means eating at home more often. Figuring out your meal plan ahead of time for the week will save you money, calories and regret.
Inside you’ll find all the products you need to make 10 grilled meals (and more), including recipe cards, grocery lists, you name it. This weekend I made Tarragon Grilled Shrimp, featured in this collection. The result? Skewers of buttery, herb-crusted deliciousness.
Serve with quinoa and lemon wedges, along with fresh asparagus roasted with Green Tea Peppercorn Seasoning and Roasted Garlic Infused Oil. So fresh. So easy. So good. (You’ll find the full recipe below.)
What are your best tips for keeping it all in balance? Or do you have a favorite light recipe or meal idea to share? Post your comments right here. We’d love to hear from you!