Planning to celebrate Cinco de Mayo? Whether you're putting together a big party or just getting together with a few friends, here are some tips and hints for throwing your own fun fiesta without a lot of fuss.
Menu Ideas & More for Cinco de Mayo
- Must-have margaritas. Nothing starts a south-of-the-border celebration like beautiful, exotic Prickly Pear Margaritas! Rim your glasses with coarse salt and add fresh garnishes like lime wedges, edible flowers or sprigs of rosemary.
Tip: If you're not a huge fan of tequila, mix 'em up with 1 cup triple sec, ½ cup tequila and 6 cups warm water for slightly sweeter cocktails.
- Bright and bold décor. If you're picking up napkins, paper plates or fresh flowers, choose bright and beautiful colors. Think tangerine, sunshine yellow, teal and/or fuchsia. Remember, bowls of fresh fruit or veggies (e.g., lemons, limes or chipotle peppers) can do double-duty as décor on your table, too!
- Perfect mini poppers. For fun and festive finger foods, make your own colorful mini poppers.
Combine 8 ounces softened cream cheese, ½ cup shredded cheese, and ½-1 tablespoon Fiesta Party Seasoning (depending how much kick you like!). Grab a 1-pound bag of mini sweet peppers. Cut each pepper in half, remove the seeds, and fill 'em with the seasoned cheese mixture. Bake at 350° F about 12-15 minutes.
- Self-serve chips and salsa. Remember, entertaining with friends doesn't have to involve anything fancy! Just open a couple bags of tortilla chips (I personally love Tostitos® Thin & Crispy Cantina style), and set out a few small dishes of salsa. That way, even if you are running behind in the kitchen, your guests can help themselves to snacks right away.
- Delicious dip. And don't skip the dips! For a party favorite, mix 1½-2 tablespoons of Fiesta Party Seasoning with ¾ cup sour cream and ¼ cup mayo. Serve with chips and fresh veggies for dipping.
- Party playlist. No need for a mariachi band! Just set the mood for the party by streaming a fun, upbeat playlist on low.
- Tasty tostadas.Tostadas are actually one of my favorite party foods, since guests can personalize their own. And since silverware is optional, it's easy for everyone to mingle and munch at the same time.
Simply set up a build-your-own station with:
- Magic Taco Chicken (on LOW in your slow cooker!)
- Tostadas or tortillas
- Black beans
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomatoes, avocados and black olives
- Sour cream
- Delicious desserts. And don't forget about something sweet! Set out skewers of fresh fruit with Berry Lime Fruit Dip. And for a Mexican-style chocolate cake, simply add 1½ teaspoons cinnamon to Classy Chocolate Pound Cake batter before baking. Serve the cake with slivered almonds and scoops of vanilla ice cream.
Muchas gracias, amigos!