Fall is definitely in the air around here. And as the days grow cooler, there's nothing quite like coming home to a warm and cozy meal that's been slowly simmering and bubbling away all day.
To celebrate the arrival of autumn (and the unofficial start of slow cooker season!), today we're stirring up Chicken Tortilla Soup! So rich and rustic, this restaurant-style starter is included in the One-Pot 10-Meal Kit, which has everything you need to make 10 cozy and delicious meals – without all of the clean-up. In fact, most of the recipes are made for your slow cooker!
So grab with your favorite sweater. Pull up a chair. And spoon up this thick and savory soup, loaded with shredded chicken, mild spices, black beans and hearty tortilla strips. It's the best kind of home-cooked comfort food, and even better – it's incredibly easy to make.
Ready to get started?
Let's Get Cooking!
Here's a quick play-by-play. You can also see the full recipe here >
- Toss in Chicken & Veggies
Grab a large slow cooker, and lightly grease the inside with cooking spray. Toss in 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 chopped poblano or bell pepper and ½ cup chopped onion. (We tend to like sweeter veggies in our house, so I chose a red bell pepper instead of green!) Season with salt and pepper.
- Get Saucy
In a medium bowl, combine a jar of Corn, Black Bean Salsa, 1 box (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken stock, 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce and 2 teaspoons Garlic Garlic™ Seasoning.
Pour over chicken breasts. Stir in 3 (6-inch) chopped corn tortillas. (You can even chop up a couple more to make it even heartier, depending on your preference!)
- Cook Low & Slow
Cook on LOW 6-8 hours. (Or if you're in a rush, cook on HIGH 3-4 hours.) Remove the chicken, and shred it with a couple forks. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup. Ladle into bowls, and serve with your favorite toppings.
That's it! You've got a perfectly slow-simmered, Mexican-style meal – without all the mess.
Tips & Hints
- Have any kiddos or picky eaters in the house? Set out a bunch of different garnishes, so everybody can build their own soup bowl – just the way they like it. Try sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, chopped avocado ... even tortilla chips!
- If you want to spice it up, add sriracha sauce to taste.
- For a creamy soup, stir ½ cup heavy cream into the slow cooker before serving.
- Not sure what to serve on the side? Pair your soup with a Southwestern-style chopped salad or fresh corn bread muffins.