Simply toss the ingredients together in your slow cooker and cook on low overnight. When everyone gets up the next morning, you'll have a breakfast that not only tastes delicious, it'll make your house smell amazing, too! I have found that you can also easily customize this recipe to your liking. Love bacon? Great! Simply use all bacon in your version. Not a fan of any heat? That's ok! Use plain diced tomatoes instead. Don't like mushrooms? Just leave them out. My point is simply to make it your own.
My friend and co-worker Jane originally came up with this recipe and we all know how great she is! She has some tips for you:
- This filled up every inch of my 4-quart slow cooker! So if you are going to add any extras (like some broccoli or other veggies, etc.), you'll need a larger size slow cooker.
- You can make a freezer version of this, if you want to prep it way ahead: Use 32 ounces egg substitute in place of the eggs (it freezes better). Combine all ingredients except potatoes and cheese in a gallon resealable bag. Freeze. To prepare, thaw the egg mixture in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Follow the slow cooker or oven instructions from there.
- I used a hearty 2 cups of ham plus 6 strips of cooked, diced bacon.
- We served ours with Corn, Black Bean Salsa ... yum!
- This recipe makes lots! You may want to cut the recipe in half for a smaller crowd.
P.S. If you have kids like mine who aren't big egg fans, I'd recommend whipping up batch of these delicious Cinnamon Muffin Melt Waffles and letting them go wild with strawberries, syrup and whipped cream. They'll love it and you'll have a much happier holiday breakfast!