Turtle Burgers Recipe
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 6 slices American cheese
- 3 hamburger buns, halved, toasted
- 6 lettuce leaves
- In large bowl, combine first 3 ingredients; salt and pepper as desired. Form into 6 patties.
- Prepare grill to medium heat. Place burgers on grill. Grill, turning once, until internal temperature reaches 165°F on an instant-read food thermometer, about 8-10 minutes. Add hot dogs to grill. Grill, turning occasionally, about 3-4 minutes or until desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, if desired, slice each cheese slice into 6 strips. Basket weave strips together and place on burgers. Continue grilling until melted. Remove from grill.
- Slice 6 hot dogs in half; slice each half in half lengthwise creating 4 sections each. If desired, cut 2 small triangles in the rounded end of each section creating turtle toes. Cut remaining 2 hot dogs into thirds. If desired, cut a slit into the round end or one end of the hot dog sections to create a mouth.
- Place lettuce leaves on toasted buns. Top each bun with 4 hot dog "legs", cut-side-down, and 1 head. Top with burgers.
Makes 6 servings.
Serve with Vidalia Onion Broccoli Slaw.
Make Ahead & Freeze: Prepare step 1. Place patties in a gallon freezer bag between sheets of wax paper. Place hot dogs in a quart freezer bag. Place both bags in a gallon freezer bag. Seal well, label and freeze. Thaw completely. Continue with step 2.